Monday, May 26, 2008

Pizza in Hyogo (just outside in Osaka)

Today, the orchestra traveled from Osaka to Hyogo for a rehearsal and concert. I didn't find time to find pizza in Osaka. I really didn't want pizza for breakfast (not that I haven't done it before) so when I heard there was a pizza place close to the hall, I went out looking for it. Sure enough, there was a place called Grazie Gardens just a 5 minute walk away from the hall. So during my hour off between the rehearsal and concert, my friend Chris Deviney (percussion) and I made a beeline to the restaurant for some much needed pizza. (It had been at least 2 days since my last fix.)

Of course, I ordered a plain Margherita pizza. But here is where it gets tricky. Their Margherita actually had Buffalo Mozzarella cheese which is the best mozzarella cheese. Now again the pizza was tiny, so after 5 minutes I ordered a second pizza which was a traditional pizza. I will rate both of them. Margherita pizzas can take on two meanings. And this first pizza really was a true Margherita (with a Basil leaf or two) which is almost like cheating when comparing to others so I will leave it at that.

First authentic Margherita.
Crust 4/8 so paper thin that it could have been mistaken for a Mexican tortilla shell. It was OK on the outside, but barely noticeable on the inside.
Sauce 7/8 very fresh
Cheese 8/8 But totally unfair being that it is Buffalo moz.
Presentation 5/8 So tiny... even for Japan, and the crust didn't help

Overall I give it a 5.5, but this is a little tainted in the final analysis.


Second traditional pizza.
Crust 4/8 same invisible crust.
Cheese 5/8 average at best, little greasy.
Sauce 5/8 I think it was the same but greasy sauce can sometimes have negative effects on good sauces.
Presentation 4/8 Stuart Little wouldn't have been full after these pizzas.

Overall 4.5 The only thing I eat in large quantities is pizza, and the worst thing you can do to an Italian is leave his stomach hungry. (Ask my Aunt Louise.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

for more volume try Pizzakaya in Roppongi. Savoy in Azabu-Juban is nice too, but call ahead. wishing you many happy pizz.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't read this sooner. We'll be back in 2 years, I promise to try Pizzkaya. Thanks